Four Fire Safety Tips For First-Time Homeowners

Posted on: 11 May 2016

When you move into your first home, it's an exciting time but also an opportunity to think about your safety and the safety of the home itself. You already likely know about testing your smoke alarms, changing the batteries periodically and keeping a working fire extinguisher in the home. What you might not yet have thought about, however, is how you can reduce the likelihood of encountering a variety of other fire risks. Here are four fire safety tips that every first-time homeowner should  know.

Be Smart With Space Heaters

Having a space heater can take the chill out of a cold room during the winter and require less energy to run than your furnace, making it perfect if your funds are limited after you've bought your first home. These heaters, however, can be a fire risk if you aren't careful about their placement. Make sure to set the space heater several feet away from curtains, plants and anything else that could could pose a fire hazard due to the machine's high heat.

Empty Your Barbecue Grease Tray

If you've received a barbecue as a housewarming gift upon moving in, you'll be eager to get cooking. Fire safety concerning the barbecue involves more than avoiding loose-fitting clothing when you're tending the grill. If the barbecue has a grease tray, it will fill up with greasy drippings from your food with each use. Grease is highly flammable, and an errant flame could catch the tray on fire and spread quickly. Make safety a priority by emptying out the grease tray after each cook — but be sure to wait until the grease has cooled down.

Deal With Any Outlets That Spark

Upon noticing any electrical outlets that release sparks during use, you should abstain from using them, shut off the power to the area by flipping the appropriate circuit breaker and call a licensed electrician who can investigate the problem. Sparks coming from outlets can indicate problems with the wiring, and a spark could easily create a fire behind the outlet that could spread quickly, given the dry wooden framing in the area.

Clean Your Stove Hood Filter

If the residents who lived in the home before you did a lot of stovetop frying, there's a good chance that the stove hood filter is saturated with grease. This can pose a fire hazard because any flames from your cooking could catch the grease on fire. You'll need to remove the filter (check the stove hood manual for specific instructions on doing so) clean it thoroughly with soap and water and put it back in place.

For more tips, you may want to contact a local fire safety company like 4 Seasons Fire Prevention Services Ltd

Share